I have to admit I was not a big fan of these things. Until last evening! When I finally made my own version of the cheese fondue, without any premade pack, just pure cheese and wine, with lots of fun and home chef pride.
So, I will say it only once: it’s an expensive dish. If you want to buy really good cheese and really good wine you can spend more than 35 euros on this little treat. I went for the middle quality products and it costed me 20 euros and I was also lucky that the closest supermarket had some things in offer that I could use. Also keep in mind that you can go simple, just one kind of cheese, or you can go over the top like me and mix 4 sorts of cheeses in there. Everything is about your own taste. And if you want to look for the original recipe of a Swiss cheese fondue, than, I am sorry, but this is not the place to find it. This is my version of the very well-known dish and I really adore it the way it is.
I know that the big chefs talk about 5 to 10 rules that you have to follow to make a perfect cheese fondue, but I have admit I took some of them and some of them I ditched:
- I made a roux, some people say to just mix cornstarch with your cheese, but I like the smoothness of the paste more.
- I used semi-sweet wine because I really don’t like the combination of cheese and bitter-sourness.
- I used cream cheese because I love it and because it gives an amazing texture.
- Yes, I bought good quality Swiss cheese and it was worth it.
- I mixed that with emmentaler because I think that this is the perfect cheese to cheese combination.
- And I added Gouda because it melts beautifully and it give those really wanted threads.
This is very easy to make and very nice and fun, but you still need to keep an eye on it. So add you wine in small amounts on top of the cheese so it doesn’t become grainy. We don’t want grainy, we want smooth rich molten cheese. And this is what we get if we stick to good ingredients and if we pay a little attention to it.
I like to serve this with paprika, baked mushrooms and homemade baguette. Yes, I finally made my own homemade baguette and it was a dream! It turned out amazing and it was more than perfect for my cheese fondue, garlic butter and pate. Recipe is coming soon!
PS: I had a bad evening for photos, so they don’t look great. Soon we will make a little corner in the house and get some kitchen stuff so the pictures look a bit more “professional”. But trust me, that thing was just delicious!